Not too many patterns here as I have a very bad habit of not using them! I did recently buy a few new ones when Spotlight had a 50% sale, but I more often use an existing (simple) garment that fits well and try to make my own version of it! This isn't always successful and can result in some fabric wastage :( so I am trying to be a bit more open to using a pattern properly!! I used my pattern for the PJ pants and kinda made up the top to fit the fabric scraps I had available.
Friday, July 27, 2007
And here is the finished product. My machine is a pretty basic 23 stitch Janome, yet I mostly use straight stitch and sometimes zigzag! So I decided to have a play and try out a few of the other stitch patterns. I think this bumpy stitch looks nice round the applique sheep. I would love to know how to sew the stretchy fabric without getting the puckered-up look though(where the sleeves join). Any tips??
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
From last year - I had fun making the bassinette cover to hide the cane basket that was showing its age. I also custom made the mattress to fit. Then we discovered everyone got more sleep if we were all in together! Oh well, it still got used for a few days sleeps...
From this year - The play clothes are an example of sewing on my very small budget. All the pants in the bottom row are made from our clothes that were on their way to 'clothes that don't fit Heaven'. These were repurposed when the weather suddenly grew cooler and shorts were no longer appropriate attire for my little man. He was also 'between sizes'.
There are several bonuses to this style of sewing:
*It's almost free! This is great while I am at home and money is tight. I did buy some elastic though.
*At his age clothes don't last long, and get messy quickly. Lots of pants are a good thing and if they get ruined noone has to moan about how much they cost!
*He is too young to know or care whether the pants he has on today are the trendy ones from that special kids clothing shop or the ones made out of mum's old cords!
*There is plenty of fabric to make size 1 pants while avoiding all the pockets and stuff in the original pants!
The pants and top in the top row are made with fabric from my stash.
I don't have a good pic of the PJ's. They are already well worn in too. Maybe I'll post when I finish the new PJ's!
This is the painting I've just finished. It is based closely on the border I had chosen for the nursery, which annoyingly would not stay stuck to the wall. So its gone and the paintings are on the wall instead. I did consider a mural, but couldn't stand to have to paint over all that work some day! The canvases are a bit easier to remove when he outgrows the farm theme.