Sunday, August 26, 2007

My first (and maybe last!) quilt top

Yay! I had my first 'day off' since Bubs arrived 16 months back and, apart from the obligatory hour or two for desperately needed housework, I sewed! My nine patchs were a bit rough, and some were not quite the expected 6.5inches square. I was trimming and ironing and sewing ALL DAY! Yes, I estimate it took 7 hours to get this thing together. At least I am pleased with the result.Of Course I don't have the batting or the backing or the binding yet, so I guess it will go back in the UFO box for a while longer. Might need another visit to mum's for shopping and another lesson on what to do next.

I am wondering if it needs a border, or if it is better left in its simple nine patch state? What do you think?

3 comments:

Juni said...

When you say border, how elaborate do you mean? I think it would need some sashing (sp?) around the outside which would be relatively simple and then the binding around the edge. Have a look in some quilting books and see what is generally done with a quilt like that. Or maybe have a browse on flickr. Well done on getting this all together in 7 hours! Quilting is a hard job!

Jen said...

Thanks for the advice Juni. I will definitely look up sashing in my quilt book/magazines. I am not wanting to be to elaborate at all! Just nice and simple for a novice like me.

Anonymous said...

I'd do some plain sashing maybe with a block at each corner. You could then quilt the shape in the borders. It just looks fantastic, well done!!